Thursday, October 6, 2016

Lois Swales versus missingspindle

The missingspindle experience has evolved rather rapidly since I began sharing my experimental research on spinning tools of the past in 2014.


Here's the update in three sections:

Lois Swales versus missingspindle
I began this blog/YouTube video set to explain how medieval spindles work so my students could remember what they learned in class and review it outside of class.  This evolved into more historic spinning topics and an Etsy account to put medieval spindles into more spinsters' hands. At first, this was easy.  I make my own re-creations of archaeological finds, using both a motored lathe and hand tools, along with 'found' recycled wood and / or green wood.  

BUT, I didn't anticipate the pressures of so many YouTube views on my 'channel' (recently over 100,000 and not slowing down).  I especially didn't anticipate the rich and fascinating history of Scottish spindles and the popularity of the demand for them specifically.  This means that my original research plan, nice and tidy, has been waylaid by a side path of great fascination and depth.  Which also means that I am putting a lot of energy into the research of the side path, along with following the original research path.

During these two research paths, my workshop has become untidy.  My book room, computer files, and my home are filled with random piles and in need of re-organization.  I also angered a body joint and pulled a leg muscle with too much museum visit enthusiasm. Everything else has ground to a halt while I achieve more orderly surroundings and a happier joint and significant muscle. I am making progress and will be back at the lathe in mid-October.

missingspindle on Etsy
I am running behind on serving the needs of those who want the spindles I research for their own research, demo, & curiosity.  I intended to refill my Etsy shop far sooner, but......  My apologies for the delay.

missingspindle research efforts
This blog is not really keeping up with where I am in my research.  I think you will love what is upcoming as I get time to post more about historical spindles and distaves here and on YouTube.  The interactions with all of the commenters online, the wonderful in-person meetings with students in classes and encounters after classes  is adding a rich layer of understanding of how to teach and, especially, what I taught that 'didn't work'.

Thanks for reading this long explanation of Me.  I look forward to releasing the next research topic (okay, I am a little scared, but I am going to do it) soon.  I hope. - Lois Swales

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait for more info on historical spindles and updating your shop with more dealgan spindles!
    Aloha
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have really enjoyed your You Tubes on Medieval and Delegan spindle spinning.
    I would love to know about the history of your research.
    Kind regards,
    Jane Laloma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your YouTube channel while trying to learn nalbinding. Fabulous!!! I am 70+ but can’t get enough of all your information. Fifty years ago purchased a hand spindle kit from spinning ladies on porch at Knotts Berry Farm in CA. Those ladies sheared Walter Knott’s two beloved silver standard poodles, spun and wove and then had tailored a sport coat for him as special gift!! I loved using spindle but had such hard time trying to get more roving that I gave up. You have stimulated a long held desire to hand spin. THANK YOU!!

    ReplyDelete